Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I Know Whom I Have Believed

Paul wrote to the Corinthians, "be imitators of me just as I also am of Christ." (1 Cor. 11:1)  As we look to be the mirror image of God's glory in our daily walk, we must imitate Christ in our life.  This goes beyond just professing a love for people, it means to stand for God's truth at all times.  Jesus never compromised God's truth and we must look to that example, even when it means having to suffer for His name's sake.  Many today want to think they can teach what they want and people can practice what they want as long as they are sincere.  Since God is a loving God He will accept whatever they do or say.  But Jesus said, "For I did not speak on my own initiative, but the Father Himself who sent me has given me a commandment as to what to say and what to speak."  (Jn. 12:49)   As we think on these words we will get a better understanding of the words Paul wrote to Timothy, "For this reason I also suffer these things, but I am not ashamed; for I know whom I have believed and I am convinced that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him until that day." (2 Tim. 1:12)  In his imitation of Christ, Paul did not speak on his own initiative but what was given to him by the Father through Christ.  Paul spoke only the truth of God's word for he spoke only what was given to him.  Though he may have been ridiculed, or physically abused, he still was not ashamed of the gospel, for he knew whom he had believed.  When we refuse to stand for God's truth, we are not imitating Christ.  When we teach things which are not according to truth, we speak on our own initiative, and not according to the word of God.  I pray we will stand firm in God's truth and proclaim with Paul, "I know whom I have believed."  It matters not what man says, but what God has revealed, and I believe Him to be true.  I also know whatever I entrust to the Father based on His truth, He will guard or keep it, until the great day of judgment.  I will not fear man, for I have not been given a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline. (2 Tim. 1:8)  Instead I will unashamedly speak His truth and be an imitator of Christ, and in so doing, be the mirror image of His glory until he come again.  Rodger

No comments:

Post a Comment